Sustainability: 1 of our 4 core values
Sustainability is one of Boat Bike Tours’ four core values and gets a lot of attention at our company.
We are also proud owners of the Travelife Award. This award recognises our sustainable efforts.
Do you want to help too? Read our sustainability tips for guests. Or look at our sustainability journey
Our tours travel through some of Europe’s most beautiful nature. It’s our responsibility to care for this nature, and our planet, for future generations. That’s why we’re striving to make our cycling cruises as eco-friendly as possible.
With help from sustainable consultancy Sea Going Green and non-profit organization Justdiggit, we divided the entire process into three steps:
- Measure our carbon emissions and environmental impacts. Read more about measuring >>
- Reduce our emissions and impacts through our own actions. Read more about reducing >>
- Offset emissions that we can’t (yet) reduce by purchasing carbon credits. Read more about offset >>
You can help too! Sustainability tips for guests
When it comes to reducing our carbon footprint, everyone needs to get involved. This includes you – our guests!
As a guest you can make a big positive impact just by making a few simple choices. Here are the best actions you can take to travel more sustainably on our tours:
Before your trip:
– Choose low-impact transport (such as trains) to get to the departure port.
– Offset your flight’s carbon emissions. For example, through Treesforall or through the airline where you booked your flight ticket.
– Request a vegetarian diet at least 7 days prior to departure to help reduce meat consumption.
– Take short showers (around 4 minutes) to save water.
– Skip the towel change in your cabin to keep laundry to a minimum.
– Use sunscreen, soap and shampoo without microplastics (check www.beatthemicrobead.org)
– Bring your own water bottle to use on your bike, or use the bio-bottle provided (Dutch tap water is top-quality!). You may also bring your own lunchbox for picnics.
– Unplug chargers when your devices are fully charged.
Our sustainability journey
We’re constantly working to measure our footprint more accurately and find better ways to reduce it.
When you travel with us we hope you’ll be able to relax a little more easily knowing that your travel footprint is accounted for and that your trip is as green as possible.
Read a blog post from our Sustainability Coordinator to learn more.
Questions or suggestions are welcome! Please email them to [email protected]